Sunday, November 2, 2014

Pilgrims Progress

This latest idea started because we are having theme days at my job. The Wednesday before Thanksgiving has a Thanksgiving theme. I thought about make a "Pilgrim" dress and wearing it to work. While day dreaming is fine, the first question is, do I have time to get this done? Hmmm. the skirt would be easy. Relatively easy. I've been making different kinds of skirts since I was 10 years old and started sewing. The time consuming part will be what is called the bodice although it looks more like a jacket to me.  I forgot to mention, the all one color black and brown dresses we grew up thinking were the standard Pilgrim uniform, are a myth.  Women of the era were able to dye their fabric in natural colors. I have some medium green wool I want to check out for the bodice. And some lightweight brown wool for the skirt.  I've seen pictures of re-enactors where the women's aprons are colors. I like!

 It sounds like I'm thinking this is a doable idea.

FYI At about the same time I want to have an 11th C Slavic kit done too. It just dawned on me there is no reason I couldn't use my Pilgrim outfit for an SCA event. And there's no reason the Slavic kit couldn't be postponed.

No comments:

Post a Comment