Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Pilgrim's Progress - coif

My mundane hairstyle is short. So when I do my SCA thing, I'm usually wearing a veil and wimple or a head wrap.  Well this period didn't have either so I starting researching coifs.  I can't believe how much I enjoyed this research. But I've said many times, I really enjoy the research end of things.

So first I started with a general search for 1620-30 coifs.  And of course, I found several. Even though this will be a simple outfit (to start with anyway. It appears I'm hooked), I like the coif with the slight curve to it like this one from the V&S Museum  http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O130601/coif-unknown/. With my hair being short, having some bangs and the coif sitting further back on the head, I had to do something about my forehead. I kept seeing this thing called a forehead cloth with the coifs but couldn't figure out how it was worn.  Then I found this page:  http://0061ebc.netsolhost.com/articles/womensclothesin1580slondon.html  It almost makes me want to do a full Elizabethan era outfit! I said almost.
If you scroll through the article you come to her coif and forehead cloth. This is the look I want.

Another site I found both interesting and helpful:
http://www.marquisofwinchesters.co.uk/Ecwr-Guidelines/coifs.html

I have lots o' linen scraps so no extra money here either. Now to sketch the pattern and start cutting.

A ew days later...



I got my coif pattern sketched. FYI, there is math involved in doing this! At first it was a little slow going but as I thought it through, it seemed to come together. The fabric is what I found in my stash of linen scraps which fit the coif and forehead cloth. I may even try starching it.

I have my coif and forehead cloth done, sort of. I was having trouble figuring out how to wear the thing then realized I was wearing it backwards and didn't have the back sewn together.  Extreme Costuming came to my rescue again!

http://www.extremecostuming.com/articles/howtowearthecoif.html



No comments:

Post a Comment